- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) fresh shiitake mushrooms [about 8 medium mushrooms]
- 1/4 teaspoon roasted minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1-2 Tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk **
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon margarine
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kelp powder
- 3 ounces zucchini/yellow squash, spiralized into noodles
- Optional: Fresh or dried parsley flakes
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms, and discard. Cut the mushrooms into cubed pieces.
- Preheat a medium-sized skillet on medium-low heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Once heated, spray the skillet with nonstick spray.
- Immediately add the first 4 ingredients (i.e., mushrooms through water), and cook 2 minutes (or until the mushrooms have softened). (Start with 1 Tablespoon of water, and if that evaporates before the 2 minutes of cook time has finished, add the second Tablespoon of water.)
- Add the next 5 ingredients to the skillet (i.e., milk through kelp powder), and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring the mixture constantly with a rubber spoonula.
- Add the zucchini/squash ‘noodles’ to the skillet, and cook another 1-2 minutes (or until hot), stirring constantly.
- Transfer everything to a plate. If using the parsley flakes, add them now. Otherwise, eat the food immediately (while it’s still nice and hot).
Makes 1 serving.
Nutritional information per serving (approximates): 70 calories, 2 g fat, 13.5 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 6.5 g protein.
- You can use any other unsweetened milk in place of the almond milk (soy, rice, etc.) – just note that any substitutions may alter the nutritional information provided.
Mental Cost (ingredient availability): Mostly low
Financial Cost (ingredient cost): Rather low
Emotional Cost (cooking skill level): Pretty low
Time Cost (recipe preparation): Very reasonably low
Life Cost (clean up time/effort): Quite low
Worth It? (rate from 1-5): 3.2
Miscellaneous suggestions, insights, and/or thoughts:
- The cooked mushrooms really did behave like clams in look and feel – kooky!
- I loved using spiralized zucchini and squash in place of noodles. Every time I do this “cheat”, I feel extra healthy (and rather clever). :)
- Overall this dish was pretty bland. (However, I suspect authentic clam linguine might be pretty bland, too. [I’ve never had the real version.]) Still, it was enjoyable for me to try something new. But now that I’ve had my fun, I don’t feel the need to make this recipe again.